Sunday, February 6, 2011

Zoo and New Beginnings

            I wanted to start the New Year off with something new and to take a small break to get my thoughts in gear. The blog has been lagging for quite some time due to my inefficiencies to come up with anything new. The day job leaves little to no time for anything extra since it's get up and go to work and get off and come home. It leaves little time to go out and take pictures. I also find my office isn't close to anything super interesting to go and take pictures of at lunch. Therefor you have my struggles. This year I wanted to do something a little different than take a picture everyday. I wanted something I could do on the weekend if I needed to and have pictures for the whole week. Here you have my first week of the new and improved Project 365 titled Themes. 
            For my first week I decided to use the Oklahoma City Zoo. As you will see though I cheated a little and used a photo I shoot back in 2007 at Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines, Iowa. I chose to do the zoo since we had such nice weather last weekend not knowing what we really had in store for us. As of right now we are in the throws of a huge winter storm with more on the way. I'm excited about our zoo because it seems to have so many special things going on. In the next month we will be able to see out Elephants returned to their new habitat. I'm so excited for this because while they were away being held at the Tulsa Zoo one of them became pregnant. I can't wait for the new little guy or gal to makes it's appearance. I'm happy that the girls trip worked out the way everyone had planned. I think this will be the first elephant birth for our zoo. Be looking for our new addition to arrive soon (though I don't actually know the due date).

One of the blue macaws in the Children's Zoo. This was the first time I got to see the new children's area and it's pretty cool. It's something I know I would have loved to run around in as a child. This is the first time I have seen the parrots here and I was have to get some great photographs of them. Now if only we had a red one I only happened to see the blues.

 I couldn't pass this up. This is one of those once in a lifetime sorta so. (At least I think it is) I have never seen these guys cuddle up like this just sitting outside. I would expect to see this in their burrows on a camera but not out in the open. I could watch the Meerkats all day long. 


 This is a cute little one that was sitting the closest to the barrier and man was it watching me like a hawk. The beep of my camera kept getting it's attention. 


 Got this shot which was surprising since this animal was pacing it's enclosure. I always happen to see the tigers doing this. I don't know what makes them so restless.


 I think this duck isn't a native to Oklahoma. I can't say that I have ever seen it out in any of the lakes or ponds. I was out with all of the mallards and canadian geese on the pond next to the zoo. I'm thinking it may have escaped one of the zoo habitats. 


 Every time we visit and I see this animal it always seems to be asleep. Guess maybe it sleeps during the day, but it's out in the light. Hummm. 


The funniest picture to date that I have ever taken. I never stopped to think about how a giraffe gets it water. Then I saw this one drinking and just about died. I couldn't believe my eyes. While looking at pictures for this week I wanted this to be in here because I like it so much and have never had the chance to show it off. Hope you get a good laugh out of it they way I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment