Monday, September 20, 2010

Elephant Stew

Last night Eric and I decided we were going to use the crock pot a lot more this winter. I broke out the cook books I have from Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church and St. Henry's Catholic Church. You wouldn't believe the funny entry I found.

Elephant Stew

1 elephant                                             2 rabbits (optional)
salt and pepper                                    


Cut elephant into bite size pieces. This should take about 2 months. Add enough brown gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene stove about 4 weeks at 450 degrees. This will feed 3800 people. If more are expected, two rabbits may be added, but do so only if necessary. Most people do not like hare in their stew.

                                                                                                                                         Virginia Helm


I have no idea who Virginia is, but I can tell you she gave me one heck of a laugh. Now I'm wondering if anyone else was in on this one. Either the organizer (maybe her) was in on this, or no one actually read the recipes and just used the titles to organize them.

All I can say is I laughed like you wouldn't believe, and I can honestly say I won't be making Elephant Stew anytime soon. Someone sure was clever as well.



Edit
Link to more info on Elephant Stew. Thanks for the link Janice!

http://funkymunky.co.za/elephantstew.html

No comments:

Post a Comment