Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Rant and A Book Review (Sorta)

For my rant first.

I was listening to Jack and Ron on 98.9 KYIS FM this morning, and heard something I didn't quite agree with. Needless to say I can't really be happy yelling at the crazy person on the radio so I thought I would do it here. The caller wanted to complain and discuss how disappointed she was in the Daily Oklahoman not having the Inauguration as the cover story yesterday. The story that was on the cover was about conjoined twins being separated at Children's Hospital. She felt that wasn't very news worthy as we can see that on the Discovery channel, and didn't have anything to do with making American History.
At some point I can understand why she would be upset, but on the other hand she must not know how the newspaper works. The paper reports a day late right? One would have to think if the Inauguration was on the 20th it wouldn't necessarily get a big write up because it hadn't happened yet when the paper went to press on Monday night. There was a mention on the cover of the event happening should have been enough. Today the cover story is of the history making Inauguration which would be correct since it's over, and there is more to report on with pictures of the big event.
The conjoined twins I believe had every right to be on the cover of yesterday's paper. I understand the surgery wasn't really that ground breaking, but the case being here in Oklahoma was. The girls are the first set of conjoined twins born in the metro in more than 20 years not to mention they are believed to be the very First set of Native American conjoined twins.
It's amazing to me what people will get upset over. This lady has her news today with a big front cover page write up so it's a day late (that's how morning newspapers run) deal with it. She still has the news, and there are always plenty of National papers she could have gotten the news from.

A Book Review

I read the Vampire Academy series over the weekend and it was just a great read. I'm a little upset that the next installment isn't going to be out until July, but I'm a big girl I can take it. The first 2 books were great: however, the 3rd one knocked me off my feet. The story had me on my toes the whole time. This series is a Young Adult, and it's one that adults will love too. I have to warn everyone out there that it does have some bad language in it, and lots of violence. Hello it's about Vampires so the violence thing shouldn't be a big surprise. Ha oh yea it has teenage sex involved as well. Granted it's not written in explicit detail so I think it's ok. The ending totally caught me by surprise so much so I was flabbergasted by the end. I can't believe this happened. The last line of the book.....

I set off, off to kill the man I loved.

So if you have a few free minutes stop by a book store or your local library, and get Vampire Academy, Frostbite, and Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead. You won't be sorry you did. If you want you can even check out Richelle's website at http://www.richellemead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment